Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 22, 2017. Home alone!

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Davidson, North Carolina on Lake Norman

WEATHER:  Partly cloudy.  Highs in 60s

 

George spent last night in Winston-Salem with his brother.  The house here was very quiet with just the cats and me. As a daily "constitutional", I started the day with a walk into the town of Davidson to buy a few groceries.  (George has the truck).  Walking is a great time to think and I thought more about the flights that I was trying to book to Europe.  Our last housesit there is in Brittany and it dawned on me that I should try to find a flight departing from Paris.  

So, back home I cranked up the computer and went to work again on the flights.  I was using Orbitz, just to get ideas of flights and airlines.  The prices wildly spiked up by $500 just in the few hours I was searching.  Then, it occurred to me to contact the homeowner and get her suggestion for arrival and departure modes and locations.  She kindly responded immediately.  Their house in Brittany can be reached by the high-speed train from Paris or by flying to a regional airport.  With that piece of information, I finalized our flights....

  • We will go to south Texas in mid-March to check out our house
  • From there (Harlingen airport), we will fly to Shannon, Ireland
  • We will spend St. Patrick's Day in nearby Limerick Ireland
  • To be arranged.....travel to Northern Ireland, then a ferry to Scotland, and a train to Edinburgh for our first housesit
  • To be arranged.....fly or train to Pescara, Italy for housesit #2
  • To be arranged.....fly or train to Brittany France for housesit #3
  • Fly back to Greensboro, North Carolina from Paris.  Pick up the Airstream and hit the road
 
Before I could hit the "purchase" button on the flights, I was distracted by a squirrel outside the kitchen window, He was in the trees, munching on the flowers.

I switched gears, and to keep busy, started cooking.  George's sister is coming to visit and I'd like to have some meals prepared.  I made some chili and some potato salad.  

  George returned and we enjoyed the late afternoon.  The owners have a nice hammock to relax in by our deck...
In honor of "National Drink a Margarita Day", we had a drink on the deck and watched the sunset. (This is a fancy "enhanced photo" from George's phone)....
DINNER:  Orzo pasta with meatballs.  Salad.  Black truffle sauce on the side for meatball dipping!      

No comments:

Post a Comment