Tuesday, January 31, 2017

January 30, 2017. Dolphin watching in the Gulf of Mexico

CAMPGROUND:  Another night at Isla Blanca County Park

LOCATION:  South Padre Island, Texas

WEATHER:  Beautiful.  Sunny. Highs about 80  

I rode my bike again to the Visitors' Center to use wifi and to post the blog!  I don't want to leave my readers hanging!!!   As I mentioned before, we are trying to sell the bikes and bike rack.  The bikes are getting rusty.  My right brake has frozen up, so I have to remember to use the left hand brake sparingly.  If I squeeze the brake too much, I will fall head over heels over the bike.  Makes for interesting riding! 

The highlight of the day was a dolphin-watching boat ride in the bay then out to the Gulf of Mexico.  We sailed near the bridge that connects South Padre Island to the mainland.

It was a beautiful afternoon to do this.  We took the 4:00 tour, which also caught a bit of the sunset.

 

 

The boat owners have the cutest Scottish Terrier that rides each time on the boat.  He spots the dolphins before anyone else sees them. So cute!
 

And George hamming it up with him.

We saw lots and lots of dolphins.  It was hard to get a good picture, though.

We had a nice view of the hotel "strip" along the Gulf of Mexico side of the island.

For $10/person, it was a great value and a beautiful trip.  Afterwards, we celebrated our last night on the island with $.50 oysters on the half shell at Dirty Al's.  

DINNER:  Using the rest of the drum fish filet, I coated it with Japanese bread crumbs (Panko) and George cooked it on the BBQ grill in our cast iron skillet.  Turned out beautifully.  Really really good.  Side was stir-fried rice with leftover rice and veg.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment