Monday, August 28, 2017

August 26, 2017. Woe is me!

CAMPGROUND:  2nd night at Stewart Municipal Campground
LOCATION:  Stewart, British Columbia.  2 miles from Hyder, Alaska in the Alaska Panhandle
WEATHER:  A bit nicer.  Rain on and off.  High about 60
 
Woe is me!   My  ankle is very swollen and sore from the fall I had last night.  I slept with an ice pack on my ankle and the swelling went down a bit.  I cannot fit into my shoes, but I managed to squeeze into George's.  
 
It rained again all night. Our campground is is the woods with this eerie moss hanging from the trees.
 
We slept in, as we were really tired yesterday after the ferry night ride and the early morning wake-up call.  We headed to downtown Stewart after breakfast to do laundry. My last pair of clean pants got dirty and wet when I fell into the mud puddle last night, so I was desperate for clean clothes.   The laundry facilities were in the town's hotel, along with the town's main restaurant.  It worked out well...we loaded the laundry and waited in the hotel's restaurant using their wifi while the laundry washed and dried.  I heard one of the customers ask the waitress when the rain would end.  Her response was 'When it starts snowing".  !!
 
Stewart is quite small and has a Wild, Wild West feeling.  This is the downtown, with a mountain and its glacier looming over it. 
 
Then, we drove over to Hyder, Alaska, a 2-mile drive, for lunch.  There is an old school bus there where a lady cooks and sells seafood.  
 
We shared a halibut burger, perfectly grilled and so fresh.  Inside the shack behind the bus, she has posted a few notes, including this one about a bear invasion this past July.  She said this is the first time a bear has gotten into her bus in her 19 years of business.  He crashed down the door.  As her note says, he ate/stole 15 pounds of halibut, sodas, cake mixes, cheese, hot dogs and buns.  He returned after about 2 weeks and killed her chickens and turkeys.  She kept saying "Bad, bad bear".  
 
The lady (owner/waitress/cook) told us that her husband and sons catch the fish for the lunch.  When she's out of fish, she closes for the day.  We asked her about school for Hyder's children.  She said there is a school for the 11 children living there now. 
 
She showed us this saw that she props up now inside the bus entrance to keep the bears out of her bus at night.  
 
In addition to our lunch, we bought some smoked halibut to have for dinner.  Then, back through Canada immigration again to Stewart.  
 
We've decided to head north and east to Grande Prairie, Alberta next, to visit my aunt and uncle.  It will be a 2-3 day drive to get there.   
 
In the afternoon, since I couldn't do much with this ankle, we stayed inside and watched a DVD movie, with microwave popcorn.  
 
 
DINNER:  The smoked halibut along with sautéed mushrooms and onions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment