Sunday, October 30, 2016

October 29, 2016. Last day in Grande Prairie

LOCATION:  With my aunt and uncle in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada WEATHER:  Foggy and overcast all day. Highs around 30F   It was a bit of a dreary day.  We mostly stayed inside and read.  The fireplace was very cozy....
 
We tried a taste of a Chinese liquor that Martha had bought when the salesman told her it was Scotch.  It is Chinese fire water!  It is the strangest stuff.  The "bouquet" reminded me of fermented soy sauce.
 
 
We had drinks (wine, not the Chinese stuff) in front of the fire before going out to eat.
 
In keeping with the Chinese theme, we went to a Chinese Canadian restaurant in town for dinner.  It is has been around for about 50 years. I remember my mother fondly talking about it.  My cousin who lives in Vancouver, home of some of the best, most authentic Chinese food around, likes to return to this Grande Prairie restaurant for the Canadian version of Chinese  food.  We ate with my other cousins and their sons.  They ordered about 10 platters.....the table was loaded with delicious food.  We were stuffed!

1 comment:

  1. hello K & G! Looks like you are having a good time with your aunt and uncle in Canada. I have not looked at your blog for a couple of weeks so I caught up today. The old photos of your mom Joy, her brothers and parents were very interesting. Many people of our parents generation sure had to work very hard physically, didn't they? And then where you are they had some cold weather conditions that they had to contend with too. You'll have to write me a note here or via email about your travel destinations in the next few months. It is great you are spending some time with your aunt and uncle in Grande Prairie; I may have met them as a kid in Truro IA but the only relative from "far away" that I remember of yours was Joan Dawson. Oh yes, those were the days! Thanks for sharing your travels. Nancy Hochbein

    ReplyDelete