Wednesday, May 31, 2017

May 30, 2017. Detour to Michigan

LOCATION:  Ferndale, Michigan, a nice suburb of Detroit, visiting my daughter

WEATHER:  Gorgeous here.  High about 75.  Mostly sunny. Low humidity.

 

A slight change in plans....

 

My daughter in Michigan is having some health issues so I flew up to stay with her for a few days.

 

The flight was out of Harlingen/South Padre Island airport at 5:00 AM, so we had to get up at 2:30 and drive to the airport.  I was the first in line at TSA - had to wait for the gates to open.

 

My flight was with United Airlines.  In an effort to be frugal, I had bought the cheapest ticket available.  I hadn't realized that there is something even cheaper/poorer quality than Economy.....it is called Basic Economy.  It really makes you feel like a second class citizen.  I was taking my backpack, purse and small bag that I have traveled with all over Europe and Australia, all as carry-on.  However, with this Basic Economy status, you are only allowed one small "personal item" carryon.  Luckily, I was traveling light, and stuffed the purse and other bag all into my backpack, and that was permissible.  I asked the gate attendant whether I could change seats from the back toward the front, as I had a tight connection in Houston and wanted to disembark as quickly as possible.  I was told, even though there were empty seats, that since I'm Basic Economy that I have to sit in the rear.  I was, of course, in Group 5 to board, the last group called.  When it came time to board, they made a big deal of saying that groups 1-2 could have one carry-on and one "personal item", but those naughty folks in Group 5 are only allowed one personal item.  Geez!     Houston airport is huge, but I made my connection fine.  After a 2.5 hour flight to Detroit, I found myself looking for some public transportation to the suburbs.  Oops - I forgot.  I'm back in the USA, land of very poor public transportation options.  I finally found an information desk only to learn that my only option was a taxi.  Ugh!
Whenever I've visited my daughter here in Michigan, it has been the dead of summer (hot!) or the middle of winter (cold and snowy).   This time, however, Michigan is at its peak.  Her flowers in her yard are beautiful.  I will need to do a little weeding to help out.  

Meanwhile, back in Mission, George finished his AARP Safe Driving class, and got the pick-up checked out for our next journey.  

 

I was on the internet looking at future housesitting assignments.  We have one definitely set up in Walla Walla, Washington in late June.  Then, a fairly definite one in Bangkok in July, and an almost definite one in southern British Columbia in September.  Our plan is to start our summer vacation in Washington state with the housesit.  Then, we will spend about 2 months in the Northwest.  We want to explore Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.  We thought we could store the Airstream and truck in Washington and pick up a housesit or 2 in Asia, taking adantage of cheaper flights from the west coast.  Then, we will meet up with camper friends Tony and Jenny in mid-August for some island-visiting off British Columbia.  We'll have free time in September, so the B.C housesit would work perfectly, and they have plenty of room for us to park our camper.  Finallly, we hope to stick around B.C until early October to attend a get-together on Mayne Island, off Vancouver, with my Canadian relaties.  Then, scoot back to Mission to start welcoming visitors.  

  

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a ridiculous thing for the airlines rep to say- "naughty folks". But, Karmen, you persevered and got to your destination just fine. Good for you. I hope your daughter is feeling better now. Nancy

    ReplyDelete