Thursday, May 18, 2017

May 16, 2017. Back to the USA!

LOCATION:  Winston-Salem, NC
WEATHER:  Hot and sunny.  High 85
 
It was a good thing that we had allotted enough time at the Charles De Gaulle Airport, as it is massive.  It has about 10 different terminals. Our plan was to spend our last 20 euros on a nice breakfast after we went through security, etc.  To our great disappointment, we found that there were no restaurants in the terminal!!!  So, we spent the euros on a coffee and a croissant from a gift shop, and I bought some cheese in the Duty Free to take home.
 
Eight hours later, we were in Newark.  We had about 3 hours to go through immigration, customs and security in a different terminal, which was just about the right amount of time.
 
While waiting for the flight, I called Medicare to check on my payments.  As I've written before, Medicare has been a total nightmare for me.  I signed up on my 65th birthday in September 2016 for Parts A(free) and B (with a fee).  I signed up for EZ Pay, which is a direct deposit from my bank.  Then, we took off for international housesitting.  When our mail finally caught up with in February, I found that the EZ Pay method had not paid my premiums and they canceled my Part B (which pays for doctors and outpatient costs).  It was virtually impossible to get anyone on the phone. They don't have a website with a chat feature.  Finally, in March, when I was literally at the Charlotte, NC terminal ready to take off for this last European housesitting assignment trip, I reached Social Security in my home state of South Dakota.  The kind ladies there instructed me how to plead for reinstatement.  While in Europe, in April, I found out that I had been reinstated.  I set up the EZ Pay again.  Now, today, when I called Medicare I learned that the EZ Pay has not worked again, and I'm at risk AGAIN for being cut off.  When I reached someone on the phone, I tried to explain the situation.  They don't get it.  I tried to pay by credit card over the phone; they don't accept that.  What a big bureaucratic mess!
 
Glad I got that off my chest!!!!! :)
 
From Newark, we flew to Greensboro, North Carolina where George's sister picked us up and drove us to Winston-Salem.  
 

 

I'm afraid my French cheese is getting a bit smelly.  It is hot in Winston-Salem, especially in the car.  I'll put it in the Airstream's refrigerator as soon as we get there.   We had a quick dinner at her house, then went to the Airstream where the camper has been parked at George's brother's house.  Other than looking filthy, it seemed OK.  We made up the bed and fell asleep immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment