Wednesday, May 10, 2017

May 10, 2017. A trip to the Crozon Pensinsula

LOCATION:  Housesitting outside of Poullouen, Brittany, France

WEATHER:  Nice.  Highs in upper 60s

 

Today was the last of our 3 day trips to Brittany's coasts.  Nothing is too far away, but the roads are pretty slow.  Today we drove to the western coast, to the Crozon Peninsula, about 50 miles west.   With our town of Poullouen in the middle, this is a map showing the 3 routes...  

As we neared the western coast, we crossed this beautiful bridge.

We stopped in several small beach towns.  The coast is rugged here with nice beaches.

 

We stopped in a town on the far western point for lunch.  The main street parallels the harbor and it is chockful of restaurants.  Like the French tourists, we strolled up and down the street, looking at menus, deciding which place to stop.  

We chose a mussels restaurant with outdoor seating.  It was warm enough to sit outside.  There were several mussels options - 1) in wine sauce, 2) in cream sauce, 3) with chorizo, 4) with curry sauce or 5) with blue cheese and eggplant.   I ordered them with cream sauce.  Delish!  George had fish and chips.  This restaurant, like ones we have been in before in France,  has tables really tightly packed in.  You are so close to your neighbors that you can easily watch what they eat, and I did....

 This is the view from the restaurant...

As I've said before, I just can't understand how the French women stay so slim.  The lady next to me ordered the same mussels in cream sauce that I did.  She ate them all up (and so did I with George sampling some).  She had fries with hers; I did not.  She had a crepe with chocolate sauce for dessert; I did not.  She had coffee laced with sugar after the meal; I did not.  She is slim; I am not. What's up with that???

The drive to the coast and back was nice.  Lots of cows (to make that good French cheese) and lots of wheat fields (for all those French baguettes).  Like a good French family, we stopped at a shop to buy today's baguette.  

 

DINNER:  Leftover tomato sauce with meatballs over cheesy polenta.  George had bought some polenta (grits) in Italy which I'm trying to use up!  

2 comments:

  1. The French paradox is indeed a frustration! They are slim and we are fat, and they eat all that wonderful food. Life is not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith - I agree with you. Oh, if we could indulge like the French (and Karmen and George)! Ha! Nancy (Edwards) H.

    ReplyDelete