Monday, November 21, 2016

November 20, 2016. A note about packing

LOCATION:  House-sitting in Portland, Oregon WEATHER:  Rain on and off all day. Cool. High about 50   We enjoyed a lazy Sunday, starting with the TV show "CBS Sunday Morning" and ending with "60 Minutes".  Reading and computer work in between.   We have now traversed the world from the west coast USA, departing in January 2016, to New Zealand, Australia, England, Ireland, Nova Scotia, Michigan, Minnesota, Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, and now back on the West Coast, in Oregon.  In these 11 months of travel, I have packed to be prepared for 4 seasons.  We've been through extremely hot (100+ F in Darwin, Australia) and pretty cold (5 below in northern British Columbia).  
As most travelers know, it is a big pain to lug a suitcase around.  I am proud to say that I can fit all of my clothes into my backpack and small duffle carry on.  The backpack was free from a conference I attended while I was still working.  I keep thinking that it will break, but it continues to serve me well.  
When I was last in Rochester, Minnesota, I did some major shopping at a charity shop.  For $25, I now have a new wardrobe.  I happily mix and match it......  
This jacket rolls up and is good for a dressy occasion...  
In colder weather, we layer up.  This jacket served me well in Canada....
The scarf adds some pizzazz and warmth. 
The same scarf and sweater coordinate with a different pair of pants.
 
And, these pants zip off to become shorts in cooler weather....
In addition to these clothes, I have mittens, swimsuit, undies and toiletries. When flying,  I wear one pair of tennis shoes, and pack a pair of sandals.  In my purse, I carry my ipad and a paperback.  OThat's all!  When we go to the Virgin Islands, I will probably give the warmer clothes away, back to a charity shop, and buy some more shorts and t-shirts.    

1 comment:

  1. You should become a personal shopper for ppl on the road

    ReplyDelete