Tuesday, June 13, 2017

June 12, 2017. Back "home"!

LOCATION:  Back in our "tiny house" in Retama Village, Mission, Texas   WEATHER:  Hot.  High about 102  
Since my flight departing Detroit was leaving at 6:00 AM, I had to get up even before the crack of dawn to get to the airport.  
 
I had a 3-hour layover in Atlanta, so I hung out at a restaurant for an early lunch.  I watched this large group of Japanese tourists who could not speak any English.  They were trying to order from a waitress with a very strong southern accent.  She kept asking them if they wanted "slaw or potato skins" with their order.  They were totally confused.  They just said yes to everything, and I watched enormous amounts of food served to their tables.  I realized that they are probably in town for the annual international Rotary Foundation convention.  (The Rotary bags were a hint).  
 
I knew I had a tight connection in the Houston airport, which is quite large.  It got worse as my incoming flight was a bit late due to some bad turbulence.  So, when I got off the airplane in Houston, I saw on the board that my flight to Harlingen was already boarding.  Yikes!  And, it was in a different terminal.  I ran as fast as I could, dodging the Japanese Rotarians who had also flown to Houston, lugging my carryon, through long corridors and on the tram.  When I breathlessly reached my gate, the sign was flashing "Final Boarding".  I gratefully boarded, facing the other passengers' mean looks, at that last person holding up their departure.  Then, everyone stared at me as I schlepped my carryon in the overhead bins.
 
Generally, I travel very very lightly.  However, since we have a house now, I had "purloined" some dishes, wine glasses, and decorations that we had previously given my daughter.  Now with a house, I can use some of this stuff again.  My carryon was full of these breakable items.  I was thrilled to open the bags at home to find that nothing had been broken.
 
As soon as we arrived in Retama Village, we took off again, to have dinner with some neighbors.  George has made quite a few friends while I've been gone.  Several have invited him for meals, feeling sorry for this poor starving man without a wife nearby.  We had a lovely meal - grilled steak and corn on the cob.  I passed on the apple pie and ice cream, although it looked delicious.  This couple have lived in the NW and helped us with a recommended route and recommendations for RV parks along the way.  
 
An early night for me, as I was pooped.  We are going to try to leave on Wednesday.  That means tomorrow will be busy packing up the truck and Airstream.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment